Samuel N. Ndung’u, Ruth N. Wanjau, Esther W. Nthiga
Samuel N. Ndung’u1*, Ruth N. Wanjau1, Esther W. Nthiga2
1Department of Chemistry, Kenyatta University, P.O Box 43844-00100, Nairobi, Kenya.
2Department of Chemistry, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, P.O Box 657-10100, Nyeri, Kenya.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
The current study showed utilization of locally available beach sand from Marine National Park in facile extraction of highly amorphous silica via a simple alkali fusion method. The purification of the silica sand was done using 6 N HCl solution to increase its purity. The method entailed formation of sodium silicate (Na2SiO3) solution from silica sand, precipitation using HCl acid to form tetraortosilicate acid, Si(OH)4 (silica gel) which is then heated to form amorphous silica (SiO2). The percentage yield of the extracted silica was 35.0139±0.11%. The extracted silica was characterized using X-Ray Fluorescence Spectrometer (XRF), X-Ray Diffractometer (XRD) and Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrophotometer (FT-IR). The XRF characterization revealed that the extracted silica content was 94.16±0.47 % which increased from 81.32±0.81% (Silica sand). The XRD results revealed a highly crystalline quartz as the main component of silica sand. The XRD spectra of extracted silica showed a broad diffraction peak at 2? = 21.76o revealing its amorphous nature. The average particle size of the extracted silica was 45.15nm. The FT-IR characterization of the extracted silica showed hydroxyl (-OH) in silanol (Si-OH) and siloxane (Si-O-Si) as important functional groups. The results showed a low cost technique for the production of highly pure amorphous nanosized silica as a potential mineral that can be employed in vast industrial fields.
Cite this article:
Samuel N. Ndung’u, Ruth N. Wanjau, Esther W. Nthiga. Facile Extraction and Characterization of Silica Nanopowder from Marine National Park beach sand via Alkali Fusion Route. International Journal of Technology. 2023; 13(1):1-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-3915.2023.00001
Samuel N. Ndung’u, Ruth N. Wanjau, Esther W. Nthiga. Facile Extraction and Characterization of Silica Nanopowder from Marine National Park beach sand via Alkali Fusion Route. International Journal of Technology. 2023; 13(1):1-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-3915.2023.00001 Available on: https://ijtonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-1-1
1. Setyoningrum TM, Murni SW, Nandari W, Nur M. Effect of sodium hydroxide concentrations and particle sizes on silica extraction from mineral rock obtained in Kalirejo village, Kokap, Kulonprogo, Yogyakarta. Eksergi. 2021; 18 (1): 29 - 31.
2. Todkar B, Deorukhkar O, Deshmukh S. Extraction of silica from rice husk. International Journal of Engineering Research and Development. 2016; 12 (3): 69 - 74.
3. Wahyudi A, Amalia D, Sariman. Preparation of nano silica from silica sand through alkali fusion process. Indonesian Mining Journal. 2013; 16 (3): 149 - 153.
4. Setyoningrum T, Murni S, Nandari W. Extraction of Silica from Kalirejo Minerals, Kokap, Kulonprogo, Yogyakarta. LPPM UPN “Veteran” Yogyakarta Conference Series Proceeding on Engineering and Science Series. 2020; 1 (1): 269 - 276.
5. Arunmetha S, Karthik A, Srither R, Vinoth M, Suriyaprabha R, Manivasakan P, Rajendran V. Size-dependent physicochemical properties of mesoporous nanosilica produced from natural quartz sand using three different methods. RSC Advances. 2015; 5 (59): 47390 - 47397.
6. El-Sawy A, Gemeay AH, Helal AS, Salem MA. Catalytic degradation of methylene blue in aqueous solution by H2O2 and SiO2-NH2-Cu(II)@SiO2 nanoparticles as catalyst. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 2021; 341: 1 - 15.
7. Munasir, Sulton A, Triwikantoro, Zainuri M, Darminto. Synthesis of silica nanopowder produced from Indonesian natural sand via alkali fusion route. American Institute of Physics. 2013; 1555 (1): 28-31.
8. Sdiri A, Higashi T, Bouaziz S, Benzina M. Synthesis and characterization of silica gel from siliceous sands of southern Tunisia. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2014; 7 (4): 486 - 493.
9. Chindaprasirt P, Rattanasak U. Eco-production of silica from sugarcane bagasse ash for use as a photochromic pigment filler. Scientific reports. 2020; 10 (1): 1 - 7.
10. Trabelsi W, Benzina M, Bouaziz S. Physico-chemical characterisation of the Douiret sand (Southern Tunisia): Valorisation for the production of Silica Gel. Physics Procedia. 2009; 2 (3): 1461 - 1467.
11. Cheng Y, Luo F, Jiang Y, Li F, Wei C. The effect of calcination temperature on the structure and activity of TiO2/SiO2 composite catalysts derived from titanium sulfate and fly ash acid sludge. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 2018; 554:81- 85.
12. Rahmayanti A, A’yuni Q, Hartati H, Purkan P, Romanza IG. Synthesis and characterization of silica gel from Lapindo mud Sidoarjo. IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science. 2020; 456: 1 - 7.
13. Ismail A, Widyaningtyas AL, Susanto BH, Nasikin M. Facile synthesis silica nanoparticles from Indonesia silica sand and their physico-chemical properties. Key Engineering Materials. 2020; 862: 35-39.
14. Gallop S, Kennedy D, Loureiro C, Naylor L, Muñoz-Pérez J, Jackson D, Fellowes T. Geologically controlled sandy beaches: Their geomorphology, morphodynamics and classification. Science of the Total Environment. 2020; 731: 1 - 96.
15. Munasir, Supardi Z, Mashadi, Nisa Z, Kusumawati DR, Putri N, Taufiq A, Sunaryono, Hidayat N, Darminto. Phase transition of SiO2 nanoparticles prepared from natural sand: The calcination temperature effect. IOP Conf. Series: Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 2018; 1093: 1-10.
16. Antolik A, Daria J. Assessment of the alkali-silica reactivity potential in granitic rocks. Construction and Building Materials. 2021; 295: 1 - 12.
17. Moreira K, Oliveira P, de Deus Ê, Cabral A. Alkali‑silica reaction: understanding the phenomenon. Journal of Building Pathology and Rehabilitation. 2021; 6 (5): 1-10.
18. White RJ, Spinelli GA, Mozley PS, Dunbar NW. Importance of volcanic glass alteration to sediment stabilization: offshore Japan. Sedimentology. 2011; 58 (5):1138 - 1154.
19. Hasdemir S, Tug˘rul A, Yilmaz M. Evaluation of alkali reactivity of natural sands. Construction and Building Materials. 2012; 29: 378–385.
20. Qadri SB, Rath BB, Gorzkowski EP, Wollmershauser JA, Feng CR. Nanostructured silicon nitride from wheat and rice husks. Journal of Applied Physics. 2016; 119 (13): 1-7.
21. Kemp EJ, Roseburrough RR, Elliott EA, Krause JW. Spatial variability of sediment amorphous silica and its reactivity in a northern Gulf of Mexico estuary and coastal zone. Gulf and Caribbean Research. 2021; 32 (1): 1-8.
22. Drozdov AL, Zemnukhova LA, Panasenko A, Polyakova N, Slobodyuk A, Ustinov A, Didenko N, Tyurin S. Silicon compounds in sponges. Applied sciences. 2021; 11 (14): 6587-6609.
23. Lin H, Chen T, Yan B, Huang Z, Zhou Y, Huang J, Xiao X. A functionalized silicate adsorbent and exploration of its adsorption mechanism. Molecules. 2020; 25 (8): 1820-1833.
24. Luthfiah A, Deawati Y, Firdaus ML, Rahayu I, Eddy DR. Silica from natural sources: A review on the extraction and potential application as a supporting photocatalytic material for antibacterial activity. Science and Technology Indonesia. 2021; 6 (3): 144-155.
25. Sun J, Xu Z, Li W, Shen X. Effect of nano- SiO2 on the early hydration of alite-sulphoaluminate cement. Nanomaterials. 2017; 7 (5): 102-116.
26. Ismail A, Saputri N, Dwiatmoko AA, Susanto BH, Nasikin M. A facile approach to synthesis of silica nanoparticles from silica sand and their application as superhydrophobic material. Journal of Asian Ceramic Societies. 2021; 9 (2): 665–672.
27. Zhang X, Lu M, Idrus MAM, Crombie C, Jegatheesan V. Performance of precipitation and electrocoagulation as pretreatment of silica removal in brackish water and seawater. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. 2019; 126: 18-24.
28. Zulfiqar U, Subhani T, Husain SW. Synthesis of silica nanoparticles from sodium silicate under alkaline conditions. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology. 2016; 77 (3):753-758.
29. Tahir R, Wahab AW, Nafie NL, Raya I. Synthesis of mesoporous silica SBA-15 through surfactant set-up and hydrothermal process. Rasayan Journal of Chemistry. 2019; 12 (3): 1117 - 1126.
30. Ishmah SN, Permana M, Firdaus ML, Eddy DR. Extraction of silica from Bengkulu beach sand using alkali fusion method. PENDIPA Journal of Science Education. 2020; 4 (2): 1 - 5.
31. Olando G, Olaka L, Okinda PO, Abuom P. Heavy metals in surface sediments of Lake Naivasha, Kenya: spatial distribution, source identification and ecological risk assessment. SN Applied Sciences. 2020; 2 (2): 279-292.
32. Andriayani, Muis Y, Nasution DY. Chemical reduction of silica into silicon from extracted quartz sand using sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid solutions. AIP Conference Proceedings. 2021; 2342 (1): 1-6.
33. Mustoe GE. Late tertiary petrified wood from Nevada, USA: evidence of multiple silicification pathways. Geosciences. 2015; 5 (4): 286-309.
34. Boualem A, Leontie L, Lopera SAG, Hamzaoui S. Synthesis and characterization of mesoporous silica from Algerian river sand for solar grade silicon: Effect of alkaline concentration on the porosity and purity of silica powder. Silicon. 2021; 14 (10): 5231-5240.
35. Biswas RK, Khan P, Mukherjee S, Mukhopadhyay AK, Ghosh J, Muraleedharan K. Study of short range structure of amorphous silica from PDF using Ag radiation in laboratory XRD system, RAMAN and NEXAFS. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 2018; 488: 1–9.
36. Nayak P, Datta A. Synthesis of SiO2-nanoparticles from rice husk ash and its comparison with commercial amorphous silica through material characterization. Silicon. 2020; 13 (4): 1209-1214.
37. El-Didamony H, El-Fadaly E, Amer A, Abazeed I. Synthesis and characterization of low cost nanosilica from sodium silicate solution and their applications in ceramic engobes. Journal of the Spanish Ceramic and Glass Society. 2020; 59 (1): 31-43.
38. Mourhly A, Khachani M, Hamidi AE, Kacimi M, Halim M, Arsalane S. The synthesis and characterization of low-cost mesoporous silica SiO2 from local pumice rock. Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology. 2015; 5: 35-42.
39. Thahir R, Wahab AW, Nafie NL, Raya I. Synthesis of mesoporous silica SBA-15 through surfactant set-up and hydrothermal process. Rasayan Journal of Chemistry. 2019; 12 (3): 1117-1126.