Raja Sekhar Mamillapalli, Srihari Vedartham
Raja Sekhar Mamillapalli1, Srihari Vedartham2
1Assistant Professor, National Institute of Construction Management and Research (NICMAR), #7-06, Shiksha Vihar, Jaganguda
Shamirpet(M), Hyderabad PIN-500101.
2Professor, National Institute of Construction Management and Research (NICMAR), #7-06, Shiksha Vihar, Jaganguda
Shamirpet(M), Hyderabad PIN-500101.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2020
Accidents are very common in construction sites across the construction industries which are reported very frequently. Safety related problems which are very common in construction sites in India mainly in the area of falling from height, formwork collapse, injured by power tools and so forth. The study of project safety and risk assessment and its liability are necessary for all professionals. However, it is found that those professionals prone to generally rely on their own experiences and knowledge on decision making on risk assessment, which is due to lack of a logical approach and lack of ways to check the consistency of the decisions. Based on the extensive literature study a template is prepared for assessment hazard identification and risk assessment in the two activities (formwork and excavation) which account maximum percentage of the accidents. This template is used to study and investigate systematic and effective risk assessments of formwork and excavation activities in construction projects. In the present study few sites were visited and identified the hazard and risk involved in various activities at construction site. The outcomes were documented as template for easy usage for hazard identification and risk assessment in the areas of formwork, power tools, and excavation activities. This framework would be helpful to many organizations if adopted, for improving safety by adding those control measures in safety plans and will help in reducing accident rates.
Cite this article:
Raja Sekhar Mamillapalli, Srihari Vedartham. Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (HIRA) Framework for Formwork and Excavation at Construction Site in India. Int. J. Tech. 2020; 10(1):01-06. doi: 10.5958/2231-3915.2020.00001.2
Raja Sekhar Mamillapalli, Srihari Vedartham. Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (HIRA) Framework for Formwork and Excavation at Construction Site in India. Int. J. Tech. 2020; 10(1):01-06. doi: 10.5958/2231-3915.2020.00001.2 Available on: https://ijtonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-10-1-1
1. Leenu Paul., 2018. A study on risk identification and assessment in the construction of high – rise building, IJARIIE,(4): pp.661-664.
2. Krithika Priyadarshini., 2010. Safety Management and Hazards Control Measures in Construction, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, (2), pp.97-101.
3. Fung, I.W., Tam, V.W., Lo, T.Y. and Lu, L.L., 2010. Developing a risk assessment model for construction safety. International Journal of Project Management, 28(6), pp.593-600.
4. Moja, S.J. and Van Zuydam, C.S., Mphephu (2016) Hazard and Risk Assessment in Electricity Sector: A Case of Swaziland Electricity Company. J Geogr Nat Disast S6, pp.2167-0587.
5. Kasap, Y. and Subaş, E., 2017. Risk assessment of occupational groups working in open pit mining: Analytic Hierarchy Process. Journal of Sustainable Mining, 16(2), pp.38-46.
6. Zavadskas, E.K., Turskis, Z. and Tamošaitiene, J., 2010. Risk assessment of construction projects. Journal of Civil Engineering and Management, 16(1), pp.33-46.
7. Vibin Rakesh. V.R. (2015). Risk assessment and safety in formwork, two day National Conference on Civil Structures and Environmental Engineering, Vol.(1): pp.1-8
8. López-Arquillos, A., Rubio-Romero, J.C., Gibb, A.G. and Gambatese, J.A., 2014. Safety risk assessment for vertical concrete formwork activities in civil engineering construction. Work, 49(2), pp.183-192.
9. Anandhababu S, Vinoth, M., and Visagavel. K 2014, A Study on Risk Assessment in Construction Project of an Educational Institution, International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, 2014, Vol 3, PP 296-298.
10. Renuka, S.M., Umarani, C. and Kamal, S., 2014. A review on critical risk factors in the life cycle of construction projects. Journal of Civil Engineering Research, 4(2A), pp.31-36.