Asubonteng Mishack, James Kwabena Essiaw, Alhassan Abdul Razak, Bridgitte Owusu-Boadu
Asubonteng Mishack1, James Kwabena Essiaw1, Alhassan Abdul Razak1, Bridgitte Owusu-Boadu2*
1Students, Department of Computer Science, Sunyani Technical University, Sunyani, Ghana.
2Brivink Consult and Technology Sunyani, Ghana.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
The increase in population globally has caused organisations and businesses to move from square rooms, table-top and containers into supermarkets, malls and more. With this expansion in businesses, the traditional pen and paperwork system for keeping records are becoming more difficult for salespersons and shop owners everywhere. However, the introduction of the point-of-sales management system and advancement in technologies have elevated the challenges facing shop owners in managing their daily sales and balance sheet. Despite the overwhelming number of POS systems available, wholesalers and retailers' in low-income counties such as Ghana see some challenges with the existing POS, cost-effectiveness, and user-friendliness. Thus, the cultural difference makes it difficult for easy adaptation of shop owners to off-the-shell POS system. Hence, the current study sought to design and develop a user-friendly, low-cost intelligent web-based point of sales management system for small and medium scale business in the Bono region of Ghana, based on a user-centred approach. Using a waterfall model, we implement a POS system based on XAMP server and MySQL database as backend and PHP for server-side scripting. At the same time, HTML and CSS were used for front end development. Our experimental setup with ten students shows that the proposed system is easy to use and robust. Thus, it has a user-friendly interface for even novice to learn it with ease.
Cite this article:
Asubonteng Mishack, James Kwabena Essiaw, Alhassan Abdul Razak, Bridgitte Owusu-Boadu. An intelligent web-based point of sales management system for small and medium scale businesses. International Journal of Technology. 2021; 11(1):23-1. doi: 10.52711/2231-3915.2021.00004
Asubonteng Mishack, James Kwabena Essiaw, Alhassan Abdul Razak, Bridgitte Owusu-Boadu. An intelligent web-based point of sales management system for small and medium scale businesses. International Journal of Technology. 2021; 11(1):23-1. doi: 10.52711/2231-3915.2021.00004 Available on: https://ijtonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-1-4
1. Nyarko-Boateng, O. et al. Conceptual Framework for Efficient 802.11 A/B/G/N Wireless Networks Infrastructure to Improve Campus Internet Connectivity. Int. J. Eng. Technol. Manag. Res. 7, 1–8 (2020).
2. Nti, I. K. and Quarcoo, J. A. Self-motivation and Academic Performance In Computer Programming Language Using a Hybridised Machine Learning Technique. Int. J. Artif. Intell. Expert Syst. 8, 12–30 (2019).
3. Nti, I. K., Adekoya, A. F., Opoku, M. and Nimbe, P. Synchronising Social Media into Teaching and Learning Settings at Tertiary Education. Int. J. Soc. Media Interact. Learn. Environ. 6, 1, (2020).
4. Appiah, V., Asante, M., Nti, I. K. and Nyarko-Boateng, O. Survey of Websites and Web Application Security Threats Using Vulnerability Assessment. J. Comput. Sci. 15, 1341–1354 (2018).
5. Appiah, V., Nti, I. K. and Nyarko-Boateng, O. Investigating Websites and Web Application Vulnerabilities: Webmaster's Perspective. Int. J. Appl. Inf. Syst. 12, 10–15 (2017).
6. Akyeramfo-Sam, S. and Nti, I. K. State of Affairs in ICTs Usage within the Hospitality Industry (Guest House and Hotel) Operations: A Case of Brong Ahafo Region Ghana. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Appl. 6, 143–149 (2017).
7. Rauch, E. et al. A Maturity Level-Based Assessment Tool to Enhance the Implementation of Industry 4.0 in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises. Sustainability 12, 3559 (2020).
8. Ohiomah, A., Andreev, P., Benyoucef, M. and Hood, D. The role of lead management systems in inside sales performance. J. Bus. Res. 102, 163–177 (2019).
9. Merchantproexpress.com. A Brief History of POS Systems. https://www.merchantproexpress.com/news/a-brief-history-of-pos-systems (2017).
10. Mikhailov, Y. I. and Razmochaeva, N. V. The Problems of Quality Management Automation in Retail Sales. in 2018 IEEE International Conference' Quality Management, Transport and Information Security, Information Technologies' (ITandQMandIS) 372–375 (IEEE, 2018). doi:10.1109/ITMQIS.2018.8525056.
11. Cummins, S., Peltier, J. W. and Dixon, A. Omni-channel research framework in the context of personal selling and sales management. J. Res. Interact. Mark. 10, 2–16 (2016).
12. Ahmed, M. I. Web Content Management in Library Science: An Information Technology Perspective. Asian J. Manag. 1, 84–89 (2010).
13. Ahmed, M. I. Web Technologies in Library and Information Services. Res. J. Humanit. Soc. Sci. 1, 80–85 (2010).
14. Rani, J. and Jha, A. Impact of Age on Online Healthcare Information Search: A Study on Indian Patients. Asian J. Manag. 6, 17 (2015).
15. Gurupanch, K. S. and Virulkar, S. Role of Science and Technology in Business Growth. Res. J. Humanit. Soc. Sci. 6, 218 (2015).
16. Bhowmick, M., Sonkar, S., Karthikeyan, D. and Engineering, D. The Scope of Web-based Clinical Research in Pharmacy. 1, 121–123 (2008).
17. Manjusha, C. M., Santhiagu, A., Soumiya, S., Adarsh, V. K. and Jaya Prakash, S. Phyre 2 and i-tasser web portal for protein modeling, prediction and validation of gel Q and gel K genes from gellan gum producing bacterial strain sphingomonas paucimobilis ATCC 31461. Res. J. Pharm. Technol. 12, 27–36 (2019).
18. Babu, R. V and Karunamoorthy, B. Online sewing defect monitoring for SNLS machine by Image Processing Technique. Res. J. Eng. Technol. 8, 373 (2017).
19. Bhusari, V. and Patil, S. Detailed Discussion on Hidden Markov Model in Credit card Fraudulent Detection. Res. J. Eng. Technol. 4, 47–52 (2013).
20. Vasudevan, D. and Balashanmugam, P. Development of non-polluted vehicle using aqua silencer. Res. J. Eng. Technol. 6, 418 (2015).
21. Dewangan, R. K. and Matharu, S. P. S. Experimental Analysis of Electrical Resistivity of Lubricant for Online Condition Monitoring of Rolling Bearing Using Design of Experiment. Res. J. Eng. Technol. 7, 115 (2016).
22. Kumar, M. V. Teacher as online facilitator in a Face book group for Knowledge acquisition. Res. J. Humanit. Soc. Sci. 9, 245 (2018).
23. Wikipedia.org. Point of sale. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_of_sale (2016).
24. Natarajan, K. Programming Language. https://medium.com/@mkalpananatarajan/programming-language-ee7f0cad79a (2020).
25. Eco. Traditional systems life cycle. https://siteeconomics.blogspot.com/2016/10/traditional-systems-life-cycle.html (2016).
26. Odoo. Point of sales. https://www.odoo.com/page/point-of-sale-shop (2010).
27. OroCube LLC. Floreant POS. https://www.orocube.com/ (2008).
28. Erply. Erply Point of Sale. https://erply.com (2013).
29. Posmicro. Retail POS Software. https://posmicro.com/pos-software_25/retail-pos-software (2009).